Monday, February 1, 2010

Canine Good Citizen Testing

Best Friends Pet Care offers the AKC Canine Good Citizen Testing. The AKC designed the CGC to reward responsible dog owners who train their dogs to have good manners at home and in the community. The CGC test requirements are a good foundation to other dog related sports and some apartments/condos are requiring CGC training and testing for their canine residents. Most therapy dog organizations require this test before official therapy dog testing begins.

The testing has be done by an official AKC Canine Good Citizen Evaluator. Barb at Best Friends Pet Care became an official evaluator in 2009 and offers testing by appointment and at special event days. If interested give us a call at 586-792-3000.

AKC CGC Responsible Dog Owner's Pledge
I will be responsible for my dog's health needs.
I will be responsible for my dog's safety.
I will not allow my dog to infringe on the rights of others.
I will be responsible for my dog's quality of life.

AKC Canine Good Citizen Test
1. Accepting a Friendly Stranger
2. Sitting politely for petting
3. Appearance and Grooming
4. Out for a walk (walking loose lead)
5. Walking through a crowd
6. Sit and down on command and Staying in place
7. Coming when called
8. Reaction to another dog
9. Reaction to distraction
10. Supervised separation

Equipment
For the CGC test you will need to bring your dog's brush or comb, a buckle or slip collar.

No comments:

Post a Comment